"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings."

- The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
(From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Halfway Mark

It's hard to believe, but I'm half way through my maternity leave.

Ugh.

Like most working moms, I'm meeting this milestone with mixed feelings: I'm dreading leaving my baby while I'm excited to have some "adult time" out of the house again.  I'm anxious over what decisions may have been made at work in my absence, but at the same time I'm acknowledging that work isn't as high a priority as maybe it once was for me.  This makes me nervous over how my performance may be viewed when I return.  Always the go-getter, I never really had an issue with staying late or working events on the weekend.  Hate to say it, but those days are now on hiatus.  Has the office culture changed since I've been away?  Do people resent my absence?  Lots of thoughts floating through my head on the subject.

Luckily, I'm able to push them out of my mind for the time being.  Six more weeks snuggling and loving on this beautiful girl still sounds like pure heaven.  Poopy diapers and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment