"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings."

- The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
(From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Friday, December 31, 2010

Adventures With Cloth Diapers: part 1

Since today is a snow day AND New Year's Eve, and we have no plans to go out anywhere because it's cold, snowy and the crazies are out, I figured it would be a good day to start experimenting with cloth diapers.

When I found out I was pregnant, this was one of the things I planned on doing right away.  My reasoning is probably along the same lines as everyone else who ventures down this road.  I wanted something that was kinder to the environment and our bank account.  I researched cloth diapers - all the different types, wrote to friends who were cloth diaper fans, got advice, got overwhelmed by options, and now the time has come to figure out just what's going to work for us.

Why now?

I had my postpartum appointment this week, and have been cleared to once again do laundry.  Among other things (wink, wink).  Cloth diapers = more laundry.  It's an all hands on deck situation.

I have two brands of cloth diapers that I've decided to start out with.  Today, I'm beginning with the hybrid brand G Diapers .  I was interested in these from the start because they have both a disposable and cloth lining, and the outer shell doesn't have to be washed each and every time, which seems to be the case with many of the other cloth diaper brands.  I love that - even fewer loads of laundry.  The disposable insert is totally biodegradable - wet ones are even compostable - and also they are allegedly flushable (though I haven't braved that yet...the last thing we need is an overflowing toilet).  Granted, we're just into the early afternoon, but so far, so good.  In fact, I kinda love them.  Although I just now realized that I've had them on her backwards all day.  I'll let you know if anything changes when we right that situation.  Since I bought a beginners sampler pack, I also have yet to try to cloth liner to the diaper, but the disposable liner seems to be working great.  I don't think I'd use these overnight, but I'd definitely use them while out running quick errands.  Once we try out the cloth liners, I'll give you an update.  In the meantime, these seem to be working just great.  And her tush looks pretty darn cute in 'em, I must say.

Stay tuned for the next brand: BumGenius.  I know you're just so excited.

1 comment:

  1. as a professional diaper changer . . . I have to say the only problem i have seen with the g diaper is skin irritation near the velcro fasteners . . . and there's not much breathability should she get a diaper rash. I applaud you for trying out different types to see waht works best for you and baby!

    ReplyDelete