"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings."

- The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
(From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Like a Needle to the Heart

We recently endured the suffering that only a new parent can know.  Our child was vaccinated.

Now, before I get started, I know that some people find this to be controversial territory.  There's been a lot of publicity surrounding vaccinations.  My purpose here (you know, this being my blog and all) is not to incite a riot.  I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other.  I just want to share my thoughts and experience with the subject.  Some of you reading this may not agree with me.  That's just fine.  But don't try to convince me otherwise - my mind's made up.  If you know me, then you know that's that.

So there.

That being said, watching our child get vaccinated was one of the most painful experiences.  No.  THE most painful experience I have endured thus far as a parent aside from childbirth.  I was not prepared for the decibels of screams that would come from our sweet, easy-going baby.  Abbey, Scott and I were all an emotional mess.  All I could think was, "MAH - POOR - BAAY-BEE!!"  It was like someone took that needle and stuck it right in my heart because I felt Horrible.  Capital H HORRIBLE.

But then, after the tears and some infant Tylenol and lots of naps for Abbey there came so much relief.

The decision to vaccinate Abbey was never a question for us.  Yes.  Absolutely.  I believe in the science behind it.  Yes, there are some risks.  I believe the benefits FAR outweigh the risks.  Other parents don't.  That's your decision.  I don't agree.  Good thing we don't have to swap children, huh? 

I know that there are several more painful shots to come our daughter's way.  That breaks my heart because I hate needles, too.  And I hate to hear my sweet baby cry or think of her in any pain.  And it's because of that we vaccinate her.  Because to think of her contracting something like the Measles or Whooping Cough or Polio.  Well, I think I would probably kill myself if I allowed that to happen on my watch.  Her screaming in the doctor's office lasted just a couple of minutes and it was nothing that some snuggles, swaddling, kisses and nursing couldn't cure.  And cure it, we did.  She's her normal happy go lucky self.  And I am a relieved Mommy who is a little less nervous about taking her newborn out into that big scary germ ridden world.

No comments:

Post a Comment