"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings."

- The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
(From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ahh.

I love this time of year. When I die, I hope that someone makes a comment in the early weeks of fall about how it reminds them of me because I love this time of year with every fiber of what makes me me. I love it. Loooovvee.

The mild temperatures, the cooler nights that are perfect for sleeping. The need for a warmer blanket. The sunny afternoons that possess just the perfect light. The shorter days. The bountiful end of harvest. The tale end of summer merging with the hinted beginning of autumn. It's absolutely delightful. It's also the time of year when I feel most like myself. I know, that's sort of a strange statement, no? But true. There's something almost academic about this time of year. I suppose it's seeing all the younger folk returning to school and the return of college football to the television. But it's this time of year that always makes me turn my focus inward and re-authenticate myself. Get back in touch with what's important.

Yesterday, I enjoyed a day that was as close to perfect as it could probably be. The baby slept in. I mean SLEPT IN. Two whole extra, blissful, wonderfully delicious hours of sleep. So, the day was off to a wonderful start from the get-go. And when Abbey woke up, she was rested, and happy, and so adorable and playful. We enjoyed a little family time as she crawled around our new living room, moving from toy to toy while the husband and I savored our morning coffee - a second cup! In peace! Sip, ahh. Smile.

Then, we packed up the car and drove to Boulder and took in the farmer's market, which was delightfully uncrowded due to the big football game. We gathered necessities for a local, organic, delicious dinner. Free range steaks, corn picked that morning, fresh dill, rustic home-made bread. We walked around, smiled and just enjoyed the beautiful day. We grabbed a couple of sandwiches and drove to Chautaqua for an impromptu picnic, packing up and leaving just in time for the rain showers to settle in and for Abbey to take a nice, long nap on the way home. And then, we enjoyed what was left of the day - playing with Abbey, relaxing. Until it was time for the kiddo to go to bed, and we savored a perfect dinner, and relaxed.

I went to bed last night completely exhausted from an exquisite day with my family. I slept deeply. I awoke happy. And I sit here remembering and acknowledging what a sweet and positively charmed life I live, if I could just take a moment to enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I really hope I get to come and visit your family one day. xx

    ReplyDelete