"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings."

- The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
(From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nanny's Last Day

Today was our nanny's last day.

I am sad.

Suck it up and get over already, right? I know. It's not like we didn't have six weeks to prepare for this day. The events leading up to today didn't quite go down as I planned. Plans changed. The nanny got another gig, so there were extra days that she needed off for training, resulting in landing Abbey in daycare for some extra days this month. Probably a good thing in the end. But it still all feels...bad.

The feeling is vaguely familiar. As I was shuffling around in the kitchen, slouched and sighing this evening, I recalled where I felt this feeling. It's a break up feeling. It's that feeling that you got when you discovered that your ex met someone new. That they've moved on. Sure, on some level you're happy for them. But not really. Because even though you can't have them, you don't want anyone else to, either. Territorial. So, while our (former) nanny told me about her new job prospects, I nodded and smiled and offered an encouraging word, while on the inside I was cringing.

Breaking up really is hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment