"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings."

- The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
(From Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Saturday, April 2, 2011

What the EFFF

Okay, I take it all back. All those comments that Scott and I have made about Abbey sleeping through the night and being such a good sleeper, and us getting lots of rest. I didn't say them. I didn't jinx myself. I take it back, Universe.

Because we are seriously hosed up in this noise.

For the past two weeks Abbey has been struggling - thus WE have been struggling - with some serious sleep issues. Namely, we're now waking up every two hours. It sucks. It's especially jarring because we were enjoying such consistent sleep. It's so hard to go from enjoying 10 hours each night to...um...not enjoying shit. It literally just happened to us. One night - BAM - no sleep for you. WTF!?!?!

Literally, I'm pretty sure at one point I looked at my husband while Abbey was screaming bloody murder and said, "She will be an only child."

And of course it happens now. Just when I'm back to work full-time, and in super busy mode, and NEED my sleep. And the hubs is sooo not functional when he doesn't get rest. The guy doesn't need much to sustain him - but food and sleep are the two things that are totally necessary. And hockey. And the Yankees. (We all have our vices.)

Here's what I know:
1. She doesn't nap enough during the day - but she really, really fights that afternoon nap. How do we get her to take it - and make it a long one?

2. This isn't a bedtime routine issue. We have a strong and consistent bedtime routine. Getting her to go to sleep is never a problem, it's a night waking issue.

3. She's only being breast-fed at this point. Tried solids a couple weeks ago and she wasn't ready, but maybe she's not getting enough to eat?

4. When she goes into this tailspin of night waking, she will only fall back asleep if she is nursed or rocked, and will wake up as soon as I try to put her back in her crib. She will sleep in her swing, but isn't that just another crutch.

5. Speaking of the swing - that's the only place she'll nap. Not good, right?

So, I am reaching out to my community here. I am opening the floodgates and seeking advice. I've already heard recommendations for a couple of books - so keep 'em coming. We are open to any and all ideas. And please share your war stories, because I need to know two things: First, we're not alone in this and more importantly: It gets better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment